Saturday, March 8, 2008

Korean BBQ Anyone?

Recently my buddy Matt, who resides in Brentwood, CA sent me a picture of some Korean BBQ ribs. I mean this dude knows whats really good in LA when it comes to good Korean food. His palate is similiar to mine so i could only imagine him savoring the tender and sweet beef ribs with his eyes closed (or maybe they look closed cause our eyes are slanted) with a satisfied head nod of approval. I know that some of my people already know that Korean BBQ is a real special and cultural treat, but for those of you who do not know, let me put you on game with some easy to follow guidelines.


  1. Come prepared to eat and drink (this isn't for the faint of heart).

  2. Do bring an extra pair of clothes because when you get outta there, you'll smell like beef and roasted garlic for days.

  3. Please stick with an order of either beef or pork or chicken. In my opinion, just my opinion guys, I think that sticking with one choice is easier on the palate and you can enjoy just that animal for the night. (not all of you might agree).

  4. Personally I'm a red meat kinda dude. If you are the same way, please order the "cha-dol-bae-ghee" which is simply thinly sliced brisket. They also have thinly sliced ribeye steak as well, which is a close tie to the first mentioned recommendation. Also try the "galbi" which is the famous marinated spare ribs, "3 bones" is what my friends like to call it.

  5. Couple bottles of Soju is a must!! According to Wikipedia.com, soju "is a distilled beverage native to Korea and traditionally made from rice. Most brands of modern soju are now made in South Korea, supplementing or even replacing the rice with other starches such as potato, wheat, barley, sweet potato, or tapioca (called dangmil in Korean). Soju is clear in color and typically varies in alcohol content from about 20% to about 45% alcohol by volume (ABV), with 20% ABV being most common. Its taste is comparable to vodka, though often slightly sweeter due to the addition of sugar in the manufacturing process."

  6. Did I mention that Soju is a must?

  7. Finally, please enjoy this wonderful culinary experience with some great friends and family because something as interactive and fun as this is often times lost when you're accustomed to having meals on the go.

Now Matt, please be prepared when I get back out there and get ready to get your fat boy on with your homie!! I know you won't disappoint me.

*Having an experienced chopstick game will strongly work to your advantage, so Daniel and Dewitz I'm sure you'll be good. But Kellen, we may need to have a crash course in the art.

6 comments:

DeWitz said...

First off- even though your Korean, you still dont have a clue about BBQ- or beef tounge <-- get your weight up mijo- my asian game is so strong right now..

second- soju is not the truth, im more of Asahi, Sopporo, or Kirin type of guy.. good ol beer does the trick for me. But if your not into beer, grab a glass of Sake warm or cold, whichever you prefer.

third- my hashi game is soooo nice right now.. ^^(google it)

forth- please find a spot in the greater 480 area for me upon my return-
#1 thing that I will miss about JPN- BBQs

-arigato gozaimasu-


p.s. word Verification sucks

Paul S. Lee said...

Korean BBQ is so oishii! if you like beers, then check out some OB, Hite, or some other korean beers. so much more oishii than asahi, sapporo, and kirin.

nars said...

you fatty... ^^ i'm going to have to agree with your friend though. i prefer cold sake over soju any day.

Paul S. Lee said...

thats cause you're a Japanese FOB!

DeWitz said...

OB and hite sounds yummy, cause Japanese Beer sucks...



Please get rid of the gay word verification... so gay-

Jaeho said...

korea poeba!